Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Lent

I think it's possible that I've eaten meat on every Lenten day that I wasn't supposed to. I distinctly remember ringing in the Lenten season with a piece of pepperoni pizza on Ash Wednesday, and my behavior hasn't improved any since then.

In college, Roommate said every year that she was giving up her virginity and her sobriety for Lent. That was a joke that never, ever got old.

Last week when I took my sophomores to the computer lab, I was standing behind two unsuspecting boys who clearly had no idea I was so close to them. One turned to the other and said,

"Man...I gave up chew for Lent...it's been, like, a month..."

to which the other young scholar replied,

"Yeah, I gave up fast food and masturbation...that's like my life, man!"

And that, friends, is MY life. I haven't quite been able to shake it. It's far too reminiscent of Schweegs in that back corner of my classroom my first year of teaching, shamelessly schweegin' it right there in class.

1 comment:

KC said...

rach -- i am so glad you've begun your blog. it makes me feel glad inside.