Sunday, November 18, 2007

My sister is having a baby

Which mostly fascinates me, because I can't look at her without thinking about this cell-dividing, live, human thing growing and moving and pushing around inside of her. It's freakishly animal and entirely miraculous all at once. Because there's this person, this little girl, now, where there wasn't one before.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around it.

It was pretty real, though, today, watching Cyndy open baby shower gifts and having all of these women ooh and aah over onesies, burp cloths, and rattles. I watched my mom put a burp cloth up on her shoulder and pat it as though the baby was already there like it was the most natural thing in the world.

Cyndy's due date is one month from today. Needless to say, we're ready any time now.

3 comments:

par shooter wannabe said...

Rach,
Looks to me like you should be enrolling in babysitting newborn's 101! I can see this in your near future.

abigail emerson said...

Could that be Rich in the blogosphere?

Unknown said...

She will be here SOON. Pally and I have a bet that I'm totally going to win. I say she's coming on December 11, he says December 18. Whoever is closest wins. Learning that I'm already at a 2 and 50% effaced makes me quite sure that I'm going to win. And that makes me glad for MANY reasons.