Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Yoga


KC's been encouraging me to start yoga for awhile now. I smile, nod, agree that I should probably start that or therapy, and then one of us changes the subject.


This afternoon the topic came up again, right before she and Sarah demonstrated some yoga positions (poses? What do you call them?) right in my classroom.


While singing the praises of her yoga class, KC said, "Really, Rach, you should do it. Your biggest problem is going to be shutting off the ongoing chatter in your mind, but other than that, you'll be fine."


Uh-huh.


And now, I'd like you all to imagine me in these positions and then decide if the admittedly nonstop chatter in my mind will be my "biggest" problem with yoga. Something tells me it will be the actual stretching and physical exertion that will be my largest challenge with yoga. I mean, LOOK at those people!

5 comments:

abigail emerson said...

Yeah, you'll start doing yoga when I can touch my toes.

Katie said...

When I think of yoga, I think of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlDgs1OIW00

KC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KC said...

sorry - i made a typo on the last one.

but what i was saying is that you're being such a wimp about this.

yoga is not about performing well or being flexible. as my teacher says, "it's just yoga."

i feel like the fact that you signed up for a meeting with an insurance salesperson is a sure sign that you need either yoga or therapy. or maybe both.

Unknown said...

I think everyone could use at least two rounds of therapy in their adult life. Kind of like annual visits. You should at least try meditating--it honestly has changed a lot about my perspective on life. I don't do much yoga, but I'm pretty sure that most of those poses in your picture are considered fairly beginner. (Maybe not the two on the bottom left). I bet you could do them if you tried. Well, you could work your way up to them. But I must be honest, I don't see you actually committing to this.