Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Disparity

Yesterday afternoon, I was talking to Teaching Pal Tim about teaching all day Wednesday and then going to grad school in the evening. The difference between the actual goings-on in my classroom and the ivory tower are pretty alarming. Tim had the good idea of posting one comment from school and one element of grad school per week.

Good idea, Tim.

Someone should use this stuff for a dissertation on the teacher/graduate student dual identity. Not me, but someone should.

School: "I have to eat lunch during class because I'm busy making out with my boyfriend during actual lunch."

Grad school: 50 minutes explicating the following Maxine Greene passage from "Curriculum and Consciousness":
"Although I am going to claim that learning, to be meaningful, must involve such a 'going beyond,' I am not going to claim that it must also be in the imaginative mode. Nor am I going to assert that, in order to surpass the 'given,' the individual is required to move into and remain within a sealed subjectivity. What I find suggestive in the criticism of consciousness is the stress on the gradual disclosure of structures by the reader. The process is, as I have said, governed by certain cues or norms perceived in the course of reading. These demand, if they are to be perceived, what Jean Piaget has called a 'continual decentering' without which [the individual subject] cannot become free from his intellectual egocentricity."

Oh boy.

No comments: