Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Obama loves Christmas, too

Today one of my seniors informed me quite matter-of-factly that she was supporting John McCain because she didn't want to lose Christmas.

???????

"Lose Christmas?" I asked, incredulously.

"Yeah. I love Christmas and I don't want to lose it."

"Uh-huh. Did someone tell you that Obama was trying to get rid of Christmas?" I asked, expecting her to spout off something crazy about Obama being a Muslim, an Arab, or a general hater of all things red, green, and Christmasy.

"Yeah. My grandma said that if Obama's president and her taxes go up, we just can't have Christmas anymore."

Right. I mean, it IS hard to have Christmas on SUCH a small budget.

I wish I could have come up with something witty, smart, and equally absurd to throw back at this girl, but all I could think to do was ask if she'd be old enough to vote in two weeks.

Rest assured, people. She's still only 17. And while I'm at it, I might as well admit to not being able to stop myself from saying, "Well thank God for small mercies" as I walked away. To which she turned to her friend sitting next to her and said, "I don't get it...what does that mean?"

This is what I'm dealing with, friends.
Oh, sorry, "my friends." This is what I'm dealing with, my friends.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

It's too bad the grandma is allowed to vote. What a nice example she's leaving for her grandchildren.

Also, did the girl make that comment assuming you would make the connection? I mean, did she expect you to answer with, "Oh yeah, I don't want to lose Christmas either."

Maybe she thought that this was an outcome you had not yet thought of, and that bringing it up would sway your vote. Because, who wants to LOSE Christmas?