Sunday, April 1, 2007

Addie



This weekend I took care of my sister and brother-in-law's Brittany spaniel, Addie. They were finally using a bed and breakfast certificate they'd received as a wedding gift, and I thought it'd be a nice way for me to be a good sister AND try out living life with a full-time pet.


I've wanted a dog for awhile. I go through phases of checking the Animal Humane Society website on a daily basis, paying particular attention to the "Exceptional Owner Needed" section, believing, of course, that I could be the exceptional owner that some exceptional pet needs.


It occurred to me twice this weekend--once around 3:00 a.m. Friday night/Saturday morning standing in the rain waiting for the dog to finish chasing squirrels, and the second time when crushing up a pill in her food that supposedly keeps her from eating her own poop--that I may not be an exceptional pet owner and that having a pet may not be so exceptional.

5 comments:

trulybrilliant109 said...

If only you were sitting a West Highland Terrier ... I'm sure there would be other people to help pick up the pieces on a dog if you got one. I think the route to go is less special needs and more mutt (smarter and very likeable).

abigail emerson said...

Have you visited http://ragom.org/avail.cgi/Available/index? The ladies at work spend a lot of time there.

Rachel said...

I HAVE visited the rescue a golden page...it makes me think I could be an exceptional pet owner afterall.

KC said...

my mom's dog was rescued by the golden people!! love them!

Unknown said...

Your having to wait for her to chase squirrels is your fault, dear sister. I told you (and Addie told you too) that you should take her out on her leash if she gets up in the night! That's what she does...she runs around after squirrels, and she neither knows nor cares what time it is. How long did she take to come back inside?