Sunday, April 8, 2007

So this is Easter

I thought about writing this big long post about Easter--the ham and cheesy potatoes (yes, I think that's on everyone's menu today), the juvenile search for the Easter baskets that Mom still hides every year, the Monopoly loss to Dave and the classic nature of playing Jenga with the fam--but decided that the day could instead be encapsulated by this delightful family moment:

Cyndy and Dave brought their dog Addie over to Mom's for the day. Everyone loves having Addie around except for our Westie, Piper, who pretty much hates any other dog in her castle...Piper also has a problem with diversity, but that's a post for another time. Anyway, Piper and Addie spent most of the day "playing"--which sounded and looked a whole lot more like fighting, so to preoccupy Addie and keep her away from Piper's toys, Cyndy and Dave gave Addie a bully stick.

You can follow the link for more information on bully sticks, but the gist of it is this: they're a special treat for dogs made out of a bull's penis.

The highlight of my Easter, then, had to be when Addie was chewing on this thing, and Mom shouted out, "Is she chewing on that PENIS?!?"

It's hard to keep your composure, even as adults, when your mom is shouting the word "penis" at the top of her lungs. (Yes, this was frighteningly reminiscent of my tenth graders laughing at the word Uranus which came up in our mythology unit...I'm not saying I'm better than them.)

Jesus Christ is risen today, people. Alleluia. Or something.

4 comments:

abigail emerson said...

Not sure if I'm more impressed by the fact that you dared to google "bully stick" or that wikipedia already had an entry. Reminiscent of the time I tried to use Google to determine if there is a male equivalent to "nymphomaniac."

abigail emerson said...

Also, if you were immature enough to follow the link "penis" on wikipedia, you would note that "editing of this article by unregistered or newly registered users is currently disabled." Gee, wonder why--considering that high school males appear to be the main users of wikipedia.

Unknown said...

I thought nymphomaniac covered both genders?

abigail emerson said...

So did I--that's why I was amazed to learn it didn't. You can check it out on www.m-w.com/dictionary/nymphomaniac. So that's when I began my quest to find the male equivalent. I realized perhaps it's just "male."