Saturday, May 5, 2007

Honk for Peace

This morning as I was driving south down Hwy 101 near the Target, I passed a group of people who had assembled to protest the war in Iraq. They were holding rainbow flags with "PEACE" written across them, big signs about "ending the occupation in Iraq," and my personal favorite, the imperative to "Honk for Peace!"

I should admit that I'm a little bit of a sucker for public displays of conviction--particularly those in opposition to our current administration. It's nice to see people standing in the rain holding signs that remind us about world issues while we walk into Target to pick up the next stock of toilet paper and shampoo. I'm in to it. I really am.

So I honked, and waved. Obviously.

But really, what does honking for peace actually do? Honk for peace? Huh?

It reminds me of when the kids at school heard about the genocide in Darfur and were so outraged they decided to hold a bake sale to raise money. The absurdity of the "Brownies for Darfur!" signs that littered the hallways speaks for itself. Seriously.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that march is so gay. literally. check out that rainbow sign. Gays in Minnetonka? Who knew?