Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Online Self Evaluations

After each speech, my public speakers have to complete an online self evaluation of their work. Here's a response from David that he completed after delivering his speech on the difference between love and lust.

(Keep in mind that these are students that for four months have been erasing the "L" in "Public" on my board, so that it reads "Pubic Speaking." Every day. For four months. They still think it's funny.)

Q: A few of the ways in which I adapted to my audience were:
A: "I made all of the info pertain to a horny highschooler, which the whole audience is and was. I tried to make the information as easy to understand as I thought was necessary, and I didn't go into detail about Adam and Eve, because i assumed safely that everyone in my audience would know the dominant ideas of our pathetic society."

Q: What is the best informative speech we've heard so far? Why was it the best?
A: "Well, I'm sorry to be an ass, Ms. Tholen. But I'm gonna say mine, because I learned as much from it as everyone else did, and since doing the research for it, my life has improved--I make fewer careless decisions, I think about the long term effects. I won't go into detail ofwhat it is I'm "not going" anymore, but seriously. High school? Lust is like THE biggest issue."

There are, count them, twelve days left in the school year.

3 comments:

Maggie said...

oh, pj.

trulybrilliant109 said...

Logical fallacy time: That kid wasn't getting any to start with, but now wants us to believe he's decided to be celibate? Well that's a lie. No high school boy would quit after starting to have sex. Never. Plus, he's just covering for the fact that no one will "do" him, so he's "quit." He's been pj-ing himself and that's that.

Katie said...

Roommate - You make me laugh. My job just is not as interesting as yours! I also like your previous entry. I would give money to see the look on your face that prompted the kid to give you a Crisis Center magnet!