Wednesday, May 23, 2007

You know you teach in a bunker when...


...your emergency severe weather location is your classroom and your directions are just to stay put.

It's not that this doesn't have its perks. During sixth hour today when the high school implemented its severe weather procedure, my students, much to their dismay, got to just carry on with reading their graphic novel.

Me: "Don't worry guys, we just stay here for the drill. You should probably sit against the brick wall, but just keep reading."

Student A: "But what about the tornado?"

Me: "God doesn't kill kids who are reading."

Student B: "Yeah-huh. Those kids got killed in the church that was bombed in Birmingham in the '60s."

Me: "They probably weren't reading."

My kids sat and read through the whole thing, which, as far as I’m concerned, is nothing short of a miracle.

Eleven. More. Days.

2 comments:

trulybrilliant109 said...

10 days for me, but who's counting?

Anonymous said...

Rach, Patti Griffin is so gay. You're like the gayest, yet most straight person I know. Expect new music from me SOON!