Wednesday, August 1, 2007

The Noise

My car's been making a terrible squeaking/rubbing/honking noise for a number of months now. I've been avoiding bringing the car in for someone to look at it, because in my estimation, weird noise = lots of money to fix.

But I finally gave in last night since the noise has been getting increasingly worse and more noticeable. Turning up the radio to drown it out isn't really working anymore, and I'm getting tired of pretending not to notice the stares when I pass people.

So here's the scoop. The shock spring (number 11), is COMPLETELY BROKEN and rubbing up against my strut (number 13), making a bad noise every time I go around a curve, go over a bump, or at this point, drive over a flat surface.

Thanks to goodyear for their educational and helpful photo.

Nice Guy who's fixing my car tells me that this is a "pretty damn expensive" spring to replace, particularly if we have to order the part from Audi, who by principle, don't sell anything to their faithful customers for a "cheap" or even "reasonable" price.

So he's going to look around some junkyards for the piece, and then put the junk piece on my car.

Here's to junkyard searching, people.

1 comment:

KC said...

Let's make friends with a nice Honda Civic. I think it's time.