Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Crossing

Tonight as I was headed to finally get that weird noise the back of my car has been making for the last six months checked out, I nearly rear-ended the car ahead of me when it came to a screeching halt.

As I looked up from certain death spelled out in the rear bumper of the car ahead of me, I saw a string of nine geese blithely crossing the road at glacial speed.

It took only a couple of minutes for all of them to get across, but I was entirely struck by the whole situation while I sat there waiting. I guess it's the sheer humanity of it all, which may be a little absurd, but there really was this sense of common goodwill about five of us strangers, waiting in our cars in the middle of rush hour, refusing to move an inch until we were all damn sure that the last little guy had safely hopped up onto the curb.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

And, what did they have to say about your car?

Paul said...

Loved the image you captured (and painted) of the geese crossing. Reminds me of "Make Way For Ducklings!"