Tuesday, October 9, 2007

"But...you could have been ANYthing!"

Today the sophs were all about the standardized test talk. They had a million questions about the PLAN, the PSAT, the ACT, the SAT, the AP, the MCAs, the BSTs, and any other standardized test you can think of that can add to the acronym fest of education. Of all their questions, though, my favorite was this:

"Hey, what did YOU get on the ACT?"

Most of the time, I pretend I've long ago forgotten what my score was, even though it's burned into my brain as clear as day. But today, for the first time ever, I just told them. What the hell? I thought. So what if they know what I got?

Right.

This girl exclaims, "But...you could have been ANYthing! I mean, you could have been a DOCTOR! Why'd ya wanna be a teacher?"

Thanks, kid. It's nice to know that you think that all of your teachers chose education because they couldn't POSSIBLY be ANYthing "better" than that.

I wish I would have thought of something witty and clever to shoot back with right away, but I pretty much stared at her in silence and blinked rapidly a few times. The boy sitting next to her turned, gave her the look, and just said, "Nice. Really nice."

I heart him forever now.

Also, I'm reading this great book "Falling Man" by Don DeLillo. FYI.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think my favorite implication of this girls comment is that ones future career depends solely upon their ACT score. Does a great score on the ACT mean great scores on latter acronym tests like the GRE, LSAT, or MCAT. I believe I did better on the latter than on any of my high-school tests. Go figure. Does that mean that I can be a SUPER ANYthing? Hmmm!

Jackie said...

You cracked me up. Your retort could have been, "but I'm a Nick Green college prep superstar."