Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The Report

Fall TV has started and I'm watching a variety of new shows:

Journeyman: Verdict is still out on this one. I keep watching it wishing it would be just like the novel The Time Traveler's Wife, but it's not quite getting it right. Probably the best part of this show is when the main character moves fluidly through time, and you're left guessing the year he's in based on the pop music of the time that they play. Tonight I heard Smashing Pumpkin's "Today," Freedy Johnston's "Bad Reputation" and Blind Melon's "No Rain."

Hot Shots: The opening scene of this show had Dylan McDermott with his pants down around his ankles having sex with his ex-wife in a wine cellar at a swanky country club. Despite my love for Joshua Malina, Dylan McDermott, AND Michael Vartan (should be a hat trick of a good show), this one is a disappointment so far. Sorry guys, you just aren't Carrie, Samantha, Miranda, and Charlotte.

Dirty Sexy Money: Everything I wanted it to be, even though not much more. This show is exactly what it purports to be, which, frankly, is a little refreshing. If Passions had to go to Direct TV, I might as well fill the guilty pleasure void in other ways.

Grey's Anatomy: Last Friday in class, a sophomore girl asked me if I'd watched Grey's the night before. I grimaced, said I had, and asked what she thought of it. I couldn't put it better than she did: "It was bad...like, really bad...ER bad." Yes, the deer scenes with Izzie put me right over the edge. We know Izzie is a little odd and has poor judgement, but it's time now to let her back in the hospital to do real medicine. And Mer/Der? Not so over, apparently.

Brothers and Sisters: Probably my favorite show on TV right now. Ally McBeal and Sam Seaborn in the same show AND in love? What's not to enjoy about that?

And because I'm sure at least Cyndy is wondering:
The Young and the Restless: It just may be possible for Nick and Sharon to finally get back together, seeing as Phyllis is in jail for the next six years for extortion and Jack is waxing poetic over his hurt feelings over the kiss Nick and Sharon shared when locked in a bank vault together for hours. I will keep you posted. Obvi.

5 comments:

Katie said...

I agree about Grey's. Not good. I wished that I had watched The Office instead, until I found out you can now watch The Office on NBC.com for free now.

abigail emerson said...

Yes, I think the best part about the new show lineup is that both NBC and ABC have full episodes online.

I agree with your assessment of Hot Shots. I was expecting more, but the eye candy isn't bad. I tried Cane (CBS, Wednesdays) but it didn't grab me. As we've discussed, Brothers and Sisters shouldn't be as good as it is, but somehow the writers always come through. Doesn't look like there will be much competition for it this year.

I have to put in a plug for Chuck (Mondays, NBC)--a spoof on the action/spy genre. I'm a little worried they'll run out of material, but it's pretty entertaining for now.

KC said...

i like chuck and pushing daisies. the latter is a definite WATCH. set your dvr.

Rachel said...

In case anyone was wondering, Grey's completely redeemed itself this past week.

Nicely played, Shonda. Nicely played.

Unknown said...

Love the Y and R update.