Monday, July 23, 2007

Nothing says summer like Van Morrison

I think one of my favorite things about summer may be driving late at night with my sunroof open, windows down, and radio blaring. Jim says I listen to music in the car way too loud, but as far as I'm concerned, there's no other way to listen, particularly on a summer night and REM's "Losing My Religion" is on the radio.

I was having such a good time singing along (and thinking about that great scene from 90210 when Brenda is breaking up with Dylan after the big pregnancy scare and Losing My Religion is playing...didn't Cyndy blog about this moment?), I took the long way home to indulge in another one of my favorite things that Jim doesn't approve of: inordinately fast driving. So I took 494 to 394 to 101, and was rewarded when I hit the beautiful part of 101 with Van Morrison's "Into the Mystic." It only could have been better had "Mystery" by the Indigo Girls come on next.

Anyway, it was the kind of summer night you hope for, the kind of night that makes you feel like it's all just going to work itself out in the long run.

Even my master's thesis couldn't touch me. And let's be honest, that's really saying something.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

In the summer I really like to drive with windows down in the night to "Rhythm of My Heart" by Rod Stewart. Maybe that's a little lame. But I enjoy.

KC said...

I enjoy listening to loud music in the car, as well. when you don't want to go to work, it's good to pump the venga boys as you pull into the parking lot.

LH said...

Van. I love him so.

especially when he just mumbles and merges all the words together.

Rachel said...

Lee--happy to see you around here! It's probably the appropriate time to tell you that I check your blog daily in my ongoing quest to avoid writing my thesis. Your blog makes me feel better and I think it's amazing that you're almost done. I'm so jealous I could die. Literally.

Bullpen Catcher said...

My favorite summer tune is "Let Your Voice Be Heard" by Cantus. I crank it up on my radio and let the bass cannons doe their work.

Jim said...

Truly Brilliant 109 is back up with a simple internet survey to take. Please take the survey.

Jackie said...

I also love driving in the summer with my windows down, but I miss the smell of fresh cut hay that used to accompany the summer drives of my youth.

Next time your summer driving on 101 head west on Hwy 24. Halfway to Lake Independence you can still smell the hay at my German Farm Stock family farm that's still there.

Jackie said...

I'm typing comments quietly in bed while my husband snores beside me, so all my typos are a result of bad laptop angle.